Friday, August 3, 2012

Throwdown Countdown: Five...

The race remains tight, with Team Everyone Else at 145.88 books holding a slim lead over my 141.04 books. I've got some pretty substantial books in the to-be-read stack, so it's anybody's game.

Yesterday's entertainment consisted of an older YA novel and a much newer juvenile novel. The YA was the first House of Night novel, Marked, by mother/daughter writing team P.C. and Kristin Cast. Let me tell you up front--these books are the literary equivalent of crack. I cannot read them slowly and I cannot wait to get to the next one. Zoey Redbird is a terrific main character, smart, funny, dorky, compassionate, and occasionally annoying as all get-out. Even though this is a Book One and therefore saddled with tons of introductions and info-dumping, it's still entertaining and very readable.

The other novel was Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan, the story of a gorilla who lived for decades as the attraction in a run-down mall, told by the gorilla himself. Ivan is a stoic, having cut himself off from painful feelings for so long that he endures rather than lives. Even his friendships with the other animals on display (and one stray dog that resists being gotten rid of) are reserved and distant. But then a scared baby elephant is brought in, and something awakens in Ivan as he strives to communicate with the outside world and save the baby. Keep tissues handy, people.

And now that I've outed myself as a book-cryer, I'll bid you all a fond good evening and get to some reading.

No comments: