Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'd Have Gotten Away With It, Too, If Not For You Meddling Kids!

The Runge Public Library Throwdown is over, and here are the official results: Team Everyone Else read 228.82 books. I read 228.48 books. Team Everyone Else is triumphant, by a grand total of 17 pages.

To quote the immortal Jake Blues:

Honest... I ran out of gas! I--I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!!

But seriously folks, this is awesome. 228.82 books equals 11,441 pages read in three weeks. We've had folks get cards that never had them before and folks using cards that they hadn't in a long time. I've gotten to talk to kids about books and what they like to read, which will enable us to make more judicious choices when we buy books. (Hint: Is it like Goosebumps? We love Goosebumps! You could quiz any kid in town about Goosebumps and they could answer your question.) We were able to keep kids reading during the summer on their reading level, which will hopefully help them out when school starts later this month. Everybody wins! (Well, except me. Rotten kids.)

As a bonus? Now the adults in town are getting cocky, so we may be having Throwdown 2: The Wrath of Kahn in the near future. Fine by me, Runge--I really want that Shrieking Flying Monkey, so Bring It ON!

And all of this Awesome? Couldn't have happened without you all. Sharing our little contest around the internet (William Gibson--THE William Gibson--re-tweeted a link to our contest page to his followers. I'm still squeeing over that, and it's all thanks to you, Deanna), reading the blog and commenting, sending cards and letters and emails: y'all have done more than you can guess to encourage kids to read (and to convince a librarian that she was on the right track). Thank you all.

I'm inching towards work time, so I'll post my final books later today.

1 comment:

lynnedonwallace@yahoo.com said...

Well, you can't say you didn't give it the "old college try". Rah,Rah, Rah, and Sis Boom Bah. Bah Humbug that you didn't win.... but it was SO close. Proudof all involved.