Friday, July 27, 2012

Wonderstruck

Hello again, my bookish friends. Sorry for the delayed update, but I am at a convention and computer time is hard to come by.

I have no idea what happened at the library today, but when I left on Thursday, I had surged into the lead by about 10 books (500 pages or so). Still, reading time is hard to come by here, so chaos may await me Monday morning.

Having enjoyed Graceling despite my brain's best efforts to mash it up with The Hunger Games, I next tackled Kristin Cashore's Fire. A companion to Graceling rather than a sequel, Fire takes us to an unfamiliar kingdom where Gracelings don't exist, but where some animals are a riotous rainbow of new colors and some humans are "monsters" with the ability to control people's minds.

I like Cashore's storytelling, but I have to admit that I liked the world of Graceling better than that of Fire. This gives me high hopes for her most recent book, Bitterblue, which is, in fact a sequel to Graceling (albeit one which takes place 12 years or so afterwards).

I also finished Brian Selznick's Wonderstruck, which was awesome. I love the way Selznick chooses to tell his story, with one character's more modern part told in words and another's older story told in pictures. I don't know about you, but when I read, I "hear" the book in my head as if it's being read aloud. Obviously, I don't "hear" pictures, I just see them. The main character in the earlier story is deaf, so it is an extra layer of cool that the voiceover is silenced during her part. The words and pictures eventually come together and I love it. If you're caught up enough in the story and the characters, coincidences become moments of wonder rather than moments that jar you out of the story.

Finally, I picked up Book of Secrets by Chris Roberson. When not remolding the comics industry into something more to his liking (and writing for series as varied as Superman, Fables, and I, Zombie), Chris is a pretty awesome novelist. I've read a lot of his stuff, and always look forward to reading the next one. Book of Secrets is what The DaVinci Code would read like if it were written by a ridiculously smart guy with a snarky sense of humor and a real talent for crafting prose. Shadowy organizations that have existed through the ages, aging cat burglars, flirty mob princesses, computer hackers, Odin-worshippers----what more do you want?

No comments: