Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Throwdown Update: Mortal Combat

Team Everyone Else continues to hold a slight lead in the contest (58.52 books to 56.04 books). We've had more kids sign up to play, so I have my work cut out for me, especially as I'll be hanging out at ArmadilloCon this weekend. But I am awfully stubborn, so don't count me out yet.

Our local Wal-Mart (Wal-Mart #524) and Pico (Pico #22) have climbed on board to help us with our party (assuming Team Everyone Else can pull it off; if not, I'm getting my Shrieking Flying Monkey BeDazzled), and yet more cards and letters have arrived, this time from the Netherlands (Hi Rachelle!). Your support for this little slice of madness has been nothing short of amazing, and I'm grateful.

Last night I finished Kristin Cashore's Graceling, which I really liked. The characters were well-drawn, the action was stirring, and the plot moved right along. However, I kept getting pulled out of the story because my stupid brain kept trying to confuse it with The Hunger Games: Katsa vs. Katniss, Po vs. Peeta, lovestruck boy and loveblind girl, arrows flying everywhere, and so forth. I'm not trying to say the two books are alike, or that any of this was deliberate; just that I'd already read Hunger Games, so the surface similarities really struck me.

I also put away Diary of a Wimpy Kid 03: The Last Straw. While I really enjoyed the first Wimpy Kid book, I don't see me keeping up with the series. What was cute and funny once now kind of drags (for me--I can totally see why kids dig it and continue to read it). I guess I just need a little more variety these days.

2 comments:

bean said...

I LOVED Graceling. So very different from the Hunger Games. This is pure magic.
You have to read Fire and Bitterblue now. Bitterblue dark and beautiful. I didn't want it to end.
Course I loved the Hunger Games too. :)

Peggy Hailey said...

Oh I agree--Graceling wasn't trying to be Hunger Games and was a really cool read. I've just read Hunger Games recently enough that my brain kept trying to conflate the two. And I'll give you a small sneak-peek into my next update: Fire is one of the books, and it was great.