It's hard to believe, but acclaimed and award-winning imprint Pyr has been around for five years already. To celebrate their 5th anniversary, they're sponsoring a contest which emphasizes three of the things they hold dear: creative and powerful writing, a passion for reading genre fiction, and this year's special number, five.
Pyr is inviting readers to submit a short essay on this theme:
Five reasons why fantasy and science fiction is important to you
Elegibility Rules (Any essays that do not meet these guidelines will be disqualified):
1. Entrants must reside in the Continental United States and be at least 21 years of age.
2. Essays must be no longer than 1500 words.
3. Essays must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Word document attachment, with the subject line “Pyr and Dragons Adventure Essay Submission.”
4. The body of the submission email must clearly identify the entrant’s full name, address (within the Continental United States), phone number and email address.
5. All submissions must be received between April 1, 2010 and June 1, 2010.
A complete list of rules and regulations can be found at PyrSF.com
All eligible essays will be read and reviewed by publishing staff at Prometheus Books. Not all of these preliminary readers will be science fiction and fantasy fans, so outstanding essays will likely be those that pique their interest in the genre and make them want to read it too. The top twenty-five essays as determined by these industry professionals will be read by Pyr Editorial Director Lou Anders, who will select the top three.
The writer of the Third Place essay will win a commemorative Pyr 5th anniversary keepsake and five complimentary books of their choice from the Pyr catalog.
The writer of the Second Place essay will win a complete set of Pyr books as published by the contest end date of June 1, 2010 (one copy of each title, without duplicating those that appear in more than one binding) and a commemorative Pyr 5th anniversary keepsake.
The Grand Prize Winner will embark on a “Pyr and Dragons Adventure” that includes:
* A round-trip flight to Atlanta, GA during Dragon*Con, one of the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy,gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the US. Dragon*Con 2010 will be held September 3 - 6, 2010 (Labor Day weekend).
* Two nights hotel accommodation in Atlanta, GA, Sept. 3 and 4, 2010.
* Dragon*Con membership/entry badge.
* Dinner with Special Pyr Author Guests and Pyr Editorial Director Lou Anders
—details to be announced!
The grand prize winning essay will be posted at the Pyr-o-mania blog, and may be promoted by the publisher by other means, including but not limited to their other blogs, websites, e-newsletters and social networking pages.