Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Reading Challenge


One of my friends over on Goodreads.com has invited me to join a reading challenge for 2008. The stated goal is 50 books, but I'm going to see how far I can get.

Book number one will be Jeff and Ann VanderMeer's anthology The New Weird. I've followed some of the debates about what is and is not New Weird, and I'm still kind of confused, but a quick glance at the table of contents tells me I'm bound to like it. Barker's "In the Hills, the Cities" is one of my favorite stories, and the other contributors are all either writers I'm familiar with and enjoy, or writers I've meant to get around to reading and just haven't yet, so I'm excited to get started.

I'll keep you updated as I go along with which books I'm reading and what I thought of them. But don't wait for me; join me! C'mon, you can do it. It's only 50 books, and you have a whole year!

3 comments:

Rick Klaw said...

Only fifty? That's just a long weekend for you.

;)

Scott Cupp said...

Peggy - that is currently my goal also. I have not finished one yet this year but am in the middle of several. Keep me posted and I'll keep you posted. Currently, THREE BAGS FULL (the sheep detectives mystery) & TO THE DARK STAR (collected short stories of Robert Silverberg vol 2). Both very different and wonderful.

Peggy Hailey said...

Scott, I've heard nothing but good things about Three Bags Full. So far I've finished The New Weird and an ARC of the upcoming Coraline graphic novel (both big thumbs up) and I'm in the middle of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier and Ellen Datlow's Inferno, which are both going quite well.