Thursday, November 1, 2007

Book of the Moment


I realize that, on a site called Rampant Biblioholism, one of the things I should be doing is telling you about my favorite books. The problem is, that's an ever-changing list, akin to picking out my favorite grains of sand at the beach. I get all excited about something I've read (or read about) and just before I tell you all about it, my inner crow sees something else new and shiny and I'm off on another tangent. So quick, while the bird is distracted, let me tell you about The Deep: Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss.

Those of you who know me know of my fondness for (some might say obsession with) sea creatures. One of my favorite childhood books was Jacques Cousteau's The Shark: Spendid Savage of the Sea, and there are currently roughly 12 different cephalopods staring at me from the end of my desk. When I saw this in the catalog I immediately reverted to a wide-eyed 10-year-old. I couldn't wait to actually see the book, because it sounded gorgeous. And then I actually saw the book, and realized that the description hadn't done it justice.

Even if you have no interest in ocean-going fauna, even if you are not aware of how much we don't know about life in the oceanic depths, you should take a look at this book for the sheer beauty of it. The first deep sea book I read was Deep Atlantic: Life, Death, and Exploration in the Abyss by Richard Ellis, and what drew me to the book was the crazy-cool white-on-black pictures of the denizens of the deep. To now see some of these same creatures in lush full color is amazing and just about the coolest thing ever.

No comments: